Root Canal or Extraction? Please Advise?

It’s been just over 3 weeks now and I’m still suffering. Tooth pain is by far the worst pain ever.

Before I jetted off to India with an infected tooth, I had decided on a Root Canal treatment. As soon as I got back I went in for the procedure.

Having already told you of the many ‘special requirements ‘ that have to be put into place before I go in for my appointment, the dentist had arranged for a slot of 90 minutes for me.

I had been advised that Root canal is the best option for me, and whilst in India I realised it definately is. My two chewing teeth on the bottom left are already gone, and this tooth is a chewing tooth on the bottom right. And whilst eating I struggled a lot because on the left I have no teeth and on the right it was infected so I couldn’t put food their. And my front teeth were being used for chewing which is a long and draining process.

Whilst going through the procedure- everything was great- it was all going perfectly well. The dentist was impressed with me. 2 out of the 3 nerves were already out. I had mentally told myself to think of events in my life that have caused me pain, and this really helped- so I started thinking of pregnancy, labour, people who have hurt me, etc. And it really helped with the process and also sped up time.

Then the x-ray part came. I hate this. But I told myself to think it away. It was a challenge let me tell you this.

After trying for the 6th time,(this is why the extra time is needed) I finally got it in place, and was doing my breathing exercises whilst thinking in my head how I was going to throttle this particuler person I’m not fond of. (I promise you it’s not my dentist. I love her for real,… And It works. Trust me!) And guess what…

Just my luck…. The x-ray machine was not working. She tried 3 times, whilst I kept picturing these murderous events in my head trying not to think of the film wedged in my mouth….. It was not working today!! As soon as she told me this- my gagging started straight away. Bless my dentist as she struggled to get the thing out of my mouth whilst I was retching.

Once It was out, she filled my tooth back in and I was ready to go. I was booked in for another hour appointment the following week.

That was today.

I was feeling positive today, I knew the procedure, just one more nerve and then it’s all done. Right? …

Wrong. After the xray- which I was so much more better at this time (only 2 attempts!) She had trouble in locating the nerve. Although the x-ray is showing a nerve- there is usually a tiny space in between. This space was not showing on the x-ray.

This appointment although booked for an hour took an hour and a half in her trying to get to the nerve.

She had the x-ray checked with another dentist- and Evan tried drilling a bit more to see if she could get to it. But she didn’t feel comfortable in drilling further.

Once again she filled it all back up and sat me up.

Now I’ve got to decide. I either get the root canal done by a specialist- which means the same process again, but the specialist will know how to remove the nerve. However there is no guarantee that there will be no pain or infection after. She will pass on all my details and get the specialist prepared for my case. This could cost upto £600, but it will save a tooth

Or

I get it removed entirely. And that also by a specialist whom she will refer me too. Cost will be £70, but I will be left with no tooth- therefore need to consider a bridge if possible or an implant (prices of these not discussed yet)

I was quite confused as to why she would send me to specialist as she had done the last one- so I asked her. Her response was that the trauma that I went through on the last tooth- was not only mine. She went through alot of anxiety and trauma herself, as she didn’t know whether I would collapse, or throw up or Evan worse. And she wouldn’t want me to go through that again, or herself and would rather I get it done by a specialist who may have already dealt with ‘cases’ like myself.

That was a fair comment and I respected her for that.

But now? What do I do?

Root canal is what I definitely wanted doing initially, as I don’t want that gap, but I seriously can’t handle it if I have to then remove it afterwards anyway.

What do I do?

Keep me in your prayers people

Love and regards

M11bna

Give a quick like, follow or Evan a comment. May make me feel better x

m11bna

Back to top
%d bloggers like this: